I had this cake few months back in a small cafe near my house and fall in love with it the same instance. Apple cake was nicely sweetened with sugar and slight sourness of the apple and a bit crunch increase the level of deliciousness to another level. So last night when my darling husband wanted something sweet post dinner, which was kinda shocking as he does not enjoy too much sugar. I decided to put my baking skill under test for a warm apple cake.
The recipe for this is so easy and it has just few ingredients and believe me when I say simple as I baked it for the very first time and it turned out pretty delicious. You can enjoy this cake with a scoop of Vanilla Ice cream as after dinner dessert or can be enjoy as a tea time snack, as nothing accompany tea best than a slice of cake.
Russian Apple Cake
Prep time: 1.5 hr Serves: 4
- 6 large eggs, at room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (pinch) baking powder
- 2 med Green apples
- Powdered sugar to dust the finished cake
- Preheat Oven to 340°F, grease the cake pan.
- Peel and core apples, cut into small dice.
- Beat 6 eggs with 1 cup sugar on high speed for 6 minutes until thick and fluffy.
- Whisk together 1 cups flour with baking powder. Sift the flour into the foamy egg mixture in three increments, folding it in with a spatula to combine between each addition. Don’t overmix.
- Fold in the diced apples (reserving ½ cup diced apples), just until combined and transfer batter to a greased baking pan. Sprinkle the top with reserved apples and bake for 1 hour.
- When top will be golden brown, remove from oven and let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes then you can slide a knife around the sides of the cake to loosen it from the pan.
- Once cake is near room temp, dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Just grab your cup of tea with this cake sit back and enjoy.